Yes, I've been MIA for the past two weeks. Helping my daughter and her family get settled into their new home, (I think I've done this over 6 times in their married life!), has kept me from blogging. The great blessing about putting work aside is that I've been able to spend wonderful time with these 3 grandkids that was long overdue. Sometimes you have to know when to walk away and just enjoy life at its best. And Grandchildren are the BEST! I hate not being a hands on Grandma so you have to make the most of your time. As you can tell they are back in the Potato State of Idaho.
Picking strawberries fresh off the farm was a treat. Just look at this yummy bowl full of tiny sweetness...betch'a can't eat just one.
What did we do with 2 buckets full of these babies? Well make stuff of course! ..and eat a ton of them just whole. And here's a yummy recipe that Meg made for me.
Martha Stewart's Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
- Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
Can I just say DELICIOUS? My grandkids and the cookies!